|Scoping (including areal extent of MPAs/MPA networks)||X||Primary habitats:
• Seagrass: 70ha
• Intertidal: 99400ha
• Neritic waters:154400ha
• Sea bean sprouts
• Pacific reef heron
• Seagrass ( Halophila beccarii)
• Chinese egret
• Spoon-billed sandpiper
• Black-faced spoonbill
Size of marine protected area: 3000 ha
• Beilun Esturay National Nature Reserve in Guangxi-3000ha
The establishment of MPAs would promote the protection of the typical marine ecosystems and biodiversity preservation and promote eco-tourism.
The most important threats in the MPAs：
• Aquiculture, Illegal dredging, Pollution, and other human activities.
• Natural disaster- typhoon, tropical cyclone |
|Ecological, social and economic characteristics, significance and conditions of MPA/MPA Network at project start-up||X||• A total of 26,391 people live around the costal of the MPA.
• Average income of the people in Fangchenggang is 16,490 RMB per person yearly.
• The local people have an agricultural economy. Agriculture and fisheries are main economic activity.
Source: the website of Fangchenggang government, the work report of Beilun Esturay National Nature Reserve |
|MPA governance situation at project start-up||X||The MPA was established by laws and gazette. Management Bureau of Nature Reserve carry out the manager work including protection infrastructure construction, research, education and other activities. |
|METT rating of management effectiveness of MPA at project start-up||X||Beilun Esturay National Nature Reserve is in the process of assessment using with METT scorecard. |
|New or improved MPA management plan||X||The master plan of the MPA has been approved in 2010 to provide guideline for its management. The master plan is keeping with the national laws and regulations. |
|Improvements recorded at priority MPA sites using METT indicators||X||The score has not been published. |