|Scoping (including areal extent of coastal and marine habitats)
|The scoping for Kampot Province was conducted from March 12-13, 2015 with additional documents analyzed after the field activities. This process enabled the team to understand the existing situation at the provincial, district and community levels and identify the various levels of intervention for implementation under the GEF Project.
Prek Thnout commune is located in Teuk Chhou district, 28 kilometers west of Kampot town, along the National Road No. 3 to the National Road No. 4 (Veal Rinh commune, Preah Sihanouk province). The commune comprises of 4 villages such as Trapeang Ropeuv village, Prek Thnout village, Prek Kreng village, and Choung Houn village, all of which with the population of 9,646 (Ministry of Planning, 2015).
Around 1,320.53 hectares of seagrass beds can be found in Prek Thnoat commune (IUCN 2014 as cited in the Baseline Assessment Report).
Sea-grass in Prek Thnoat commune starts from the east of Preaek Trapeang Ropov and continues to the west of Preaek Kdat, covering about 11 kilometers of coastline. The geography of the area is fringed with mangrove forests growing on mudflats adjacent to the sea-grass bed, where the sediment is mainly comprised of silt and sand in front of Chang Hoan village. The depth of sea-grass distribution is from 0.5-3 meters with an average depth of 1.3 meter. (Baseline assessment Report).
Nine (9) seagrass species can be found in Prek Thnoat commune, including Eelgrass (Enhalus acoroides), Turtle grass (Thalassia hemprichii), Fiber strain grass (Halodule pinifolia), Syringe grass (Syringodium isoetifolium), Round-tipped sea-grass (Cymodocea rotundata), Toothed sea-grass (Cymodocea serrulata), Fiber-stand grass (Halodule uninervis), Spoon-grass (Halophila ovalis), and Esturine spoon-sea-grass (Halophila beccarii). Three dominant seagrass species include: Enhalus acoroides, Thalassia hemprichii, and Halodule pinifolia (Baseline assessment Report).
|Areal extent of damaged/degraded habitats
|Information not available
|Areal extent of healthy and resilient habitats
|Around 1,320.53 hectares of seagrass beds can be found in Prek Thnoat commune (IUCN 2014 as cited in the Baseline Assessment Report). Nine (9) species of seagrass (11 species of seagrass in Kampot Province) can be found in Prek Thnoat commune (Baseline assessment report).
|Proposals/Action plans to restore damaged/degraded habitats
|• Seagrass Management Plan for Kampot Province (2006-2015) being implemented by the Fisheries Administration with advice from the Kampot Seagrass Technical Advisory Board
• Development of the integrated land and sea-use zoning plan for Kampot Province
|Some activities being undertaken as part of the implementation of the Plan include:
• Agreement with the community fishery groups for the protection of the seagrass resources. 3 of the 10 community fishery groups in Kampot Province are in Prek Thnoat Commune. The community fishery groups are recognized by law. Status of community fisheries implementation in Prek Thnoat is given in Table 1.
• Conduct of community awareness campaigns on the value of seagrass resources
• Establishment of seagrass conservation area. Conservation map has been developed but is yet to be approved by the Governor
• Implementation of seagrass conservation area; including the installation of pole markers in the conservation areas
In support of the Seagrass Management Plan, under the GEF/UNDP SDS-SEA Scaling Up Program:
• Development of the Integrated Land and Sea Use Zoning Plan for Kampot Province.
|Benefits (social, economic, ecological)
- Addressing/reducing CCA/DRR risks
- Harmonizing access to marine space by established economic sectors
- Assessing costs and benefits to clearly understand socio-economic and ecological trade-offs
- Extending governance principles to be more inclusive to weaker disadvantaged sector, addressing issues of tenure and use-based access rights
|Teuk Chhou district constitutes by 16 communes of which composes by 117,389 people of 23,258 families with an average poverty level of 16.08%. Among the 16 communes, Prek Thnoat is one of the communes located along the coastline with 9,646 population of 1861 families and 17.57% of poverty level which stands at the middle level of poverty status comparing to the other 15 communes.
91% of Prek Thnaot villagers are farmers, while the rest engages in craft work, services and other occupation. From the 91% population whose main occupation is agriculture, 51% (949 families) are rice farmers with fishing as secondary occupation while the other 37% (688 families) are the main fishing families.
Marine fisheries production in Prek Thnoat is around 70,296.93 kilograms. On the average, the catch of marine fisheries resource is estimated around 7.90 kilogram per hour by different gears.
Based on the Participatory Rural Appraisal of Prek Thnoat commune conducted by Fisheries Administration in Kampot province in 2015,
the gross income ranges from US$112.50-US$1,125 per month.
Source: Baseline assessment report
Valuation of Kampot marine ecosystem services was estimated at ca. USD 550 million (KMI report on Marine Suitability Analysis). Re-assessment of marine ecosystem services will be done at the end of the project to determine associated benefits from the project.